Ways to Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in helping Paws & Think. We welcome any level of volunteering and are currently looking for volunteers to help with the following:
- Mentor/Coach volunteers are needed to help a youth in the program train a shelter dog on basic obedience using positive reinforcement methods.
- Provide evening care for dogs in our Pawsitive Correction Program. This includes walking, feeding, and playing with the dogs who stay overnight at the Marion County Juvenile Detention Center during the week of the program.
- Help at the craft table at the program graduation to put together keepsakes for the youth in the program, and assist the youth with making kennel cards for their dogs to display at the shelter to help the dogs get adopted.
For this program, you would not bring your dog when volunteering.
Take your registered therapy dog to interact with children and adults in many settings and:
- Improve a child’s reading skills by allowing the child to read to your dog
- Help with the rehabilitation of injured veterans by assisting in physical therapy
- Assist children through the grieving process in an upbeat, structured program
- Help a senior reconnect with the world through the affection of your dog
- Provide comfort to patients and visitors in a hospital setting
To learn more about how to register with your dog as a Pet Therapy team with Paws & Think, visit our Pet Therapy Training & Evaluations page.
- Assist with the training classes where dogs and their handlers learn the skills needed to become a registered therapy team with Paws & Think.
- Assist with conducting evaluations where dogs and their handlers are tested on the skills needed to become a registered therapy team with Paws & Think.
For these opportunities, you would not bring your dog when volunteering.
- Join a committee.
- Volunteer at our next outreach or fundraising event.
- Help with our annual extravaganza event, Dogs Are Magic.
- Volunteer as a Reading Buddy for our Paws to Read program.
- Volunteer as a chaperone for our Paws to Heal program.
- For those who have the desire to help but lack the time, consider making a tax-deductible donation to Paws & Think.