Therapy Dog Training Helpers
Paws & Think needs volunteers to assist with our Therapy Dog training classes. These are the classes where dogs and their handlers learn the skills to become registered therapy teams with Paws & Think. Our Trainer leads these classes, and volunteers are needed to help the Trainer practice different exercises with the dogs and their handlers. As a volunteer, you would not bring your dog with you for this opportunity.
Some examples of volunteer responsibilities include:
- Helping to set up the training room
- Providing different distractions for the dogs while they practice walking calmly with their handlers
- Administering pretend vet examinations to the dogs
- Helping to set up an obstacle course of toys and treats
- Practicing calm greetings with the dogs and their handlers
- Other duties as needed
We also welcome school-age children to volunteer along with their parent or guardian. All volunteers must either complete the Paws & Think volunteer application and background check or provide a signed waiver before volunteering at a class.
If you are interested in volunteering with a Therapy Dog Training class, please fill out our volunteer application and background check.
If you are interested in volunteering your time along with your dog, please visit our Become a Therapy Dog Team page.